Larsen Commons Unveiled
Courtyard in honor of Dr. Dale & Raylene Larsen
The Dale and Raylene Larsen Commons was dedicated over the Homecoming weekend in honor of YC's 14th president and first lady. Members of the Larsen family, including their children Zayne and Aloha, were on hand for the presentation at chapel and took part in the unveiling of the courtyard name.
Even though Dale and Raylene were not able to attend the ceremony, they recorded a touching video that not only showed their appreciation for the honor, but emphasized the college's ongoing impact on Kingdom work. Chancellor Wayne Baker stated, "An area that will be enjoyed by so many students seems a fitting tribute to a couple whose service was guided by their love and concern for the young people who attended school here."
Larsen Commons features a landscaped patio with seating for events such as outdoor concerts, receptions, and campus devotionals. Along with the courtyard, construction and landscaping work provided for a new handicap accessible entrance to the library, sponsored in large part by a special faculty/staff fundraising effort.
Dr. Larsen served as YC president from 1960-1978, the longest tenure in the college's history. During his presidency, McCloud Hall, Levitt Library, Thomas Hall, and the Freeman Center were built. Prior to his service as president, Dr. Larsen was instrumental in negotiations for the school's reopening in 1956. The Larsens currently reside in Florida.