Located in the town of York, Nebraska, our growing campus is filled with green spaces, residence halls, athletic and academic facilities. Below is a list of campus buildings based on their purpose.
ARC at Levitt
The Academic Resource Center at Levitt recently underwent a major transformation thanks to a $2.25 million federal grant. The ARC at Levitt, previously known as Levitt Library, opened its doors on November 5, 1969. It is currently in the final phase of a five-year plan to morph into a collaborative learning space that offers the latest in research technology and student support services. The building not only houses books but now includes quiet learning spaces, a computer lab and testing center, and a research and writing center. It is named for Elijah and Lorraine Levitt, long-time benefactors who were key to the reopening of the school in 1956.
Bartholomew Performing Arts Center
One of the newest buildings on campus, the Bartholomew Performing Arts Center is a teaching facility, focusing on the day-to-day needs of students in the music and theatre programs as well as providing a quality venue for productions and concerts. A multi-form (black box) theater, seating up to 350 patrons, is the centerpiece of the building. This 5,000 square-foot feature allows for various stage arrangements, extensive sets and improved seating and accessibility for patrons. Other features of the building include a dedicated rehearsal hall for the University Singers, a green room, costume room, and practice rooms for music majors. Named for YU alumni Gary and Gwen Bartholomew, Gary served as the 15th president of York University.
Campbell Activity Center
The Colis and Dolores Campbell Activity Center is a place for students to play pool, shoot hoops, watch movies and concerts, and participate in intramurals and other campus activities. It is also the home of the daily chapel program, which is attended by students, faculty, and staff. The building has a large foyer area, an Esports room, as well as a gymnasium. The Campbells served at York from 1958 to 1975.
Looking for Panther gear? Stop by the Campus Book Store and Mail Room in Childress Hall to stock up on apparel, water bottles, and other York U-branded items to show your Panther Pride. Childress Hall also houses the campus post office. You can buy stamps or ship things via UPS from this convenient location. All students living on campus have a campus mailbox either in Childress Hall or in their residence hall if they live in Gibbs or Studebaker Apartments. Named for Harvey Childress, York’s 12th president.
The newly acquired residence hall is just a few blocks east of main campus and houses sophomore, juniors and seniors. Each suite has double occupancy rooms, one bath and a shared living space with a built-in kitchenette. Eckman Hall is named for the 20th president and his wife, Dr. Steve and LaRee Eckman.
The Freeman Center is the main athletic facility on campus. It hosts Panther basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and cheer and dance events. Many coaches have office space in this building as well. The building was recently remodeled and a new gym floor and bleachers were installed as well as the new Brian Lemons Training Room, a new men's basketball locker room and additional office spaces. The acoustics in the gym are great for making some noise at home games and cheering the Panthers on to victory. The Freeman Center was named for Mr. and Mrs. R.A. Freeman who helped spark the drive for the construction of the building in 1972.
Gibbs Residence Hall (Apartments)
Junior and senior male students have the opportunity to live in the H. Jarrell and Cynthia Gibbs Residence Hall (Apartments). This residence hall offers the benefits of apartment living with the safety and convenience of being on campus for 93 students in 24 apartment units. Each four-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment houses four students, with shared living room and kitchen spaces. Students can cook in their apartments or dine in the cafeteria in the Mackey Center. A spacious lobby graces the building’s main floor. The building is named for Gibbs, long-time benefactors. Mr. Gibbs served as board chair from 2006-2018.
Gurganus Hall is a secondary performance space, often used for smaller, student-directed productions. It also serves as the practice space for the YU Traveling Children's Theatre troupe as well as the set construction and props workspace. Gurganus Hall honors Howard and Dorette Gurganus for their commitment and service to York College. The building originally was home to the East Hill Church of Christ and was repurposed after the church built a new building east of campus in 1974.
Holthus Field House
The Holthus Field House is the primary training facility for many athletic teams. Its 35,000 square feet is outfitted with AstroTurf and an elevated conditioning track circles the interior. It's a great place for cold-weather training. A 3,000-square-foot weight room for athletes is also part of this facility. The Holthus Field House track is open to the community from October to April for walking from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m (weekdays only). Holthus Field House also hosts intramurals and other student activities. It is named in honor of the C.G. “Kelly” and Virginia Holthus family who are long-time benefactors of the university.
The newly renovated facility is the home for much of the university administration, including the president's office, provost, registrar, finance and advancement offices. A third-floor conference center provides a new meeting space for campus and community needs. The lower level is home to a large classroom. This historic campus structure was built in 1903 and was the second building constructed on the campus. Over the years, it has been used for many purposes: a music conservatory, residence hall, cafeteria, post office, classroom space and faculty offices. Recently, Hulitt Hall underwent a major makeover thanks to a $3 million gift provided to kick-start the largest single renovation project in university history. The building is named for John Hulitt who provided the lead gift for the project in 1903.
The Larsen House is home to the Student Life offices including the dean of students, residence life director and student activities director. The Larsen House was home to the fourteenth university president, Dr. Dale R. Larsen and his family until the mid-1970s.
Levitt School of Business
The home of Elijah and Lorraine Levitt was gifted to the university in 2008 and served as the president's residence for several years. With the help of Cornerstone Bank, the space was repurposed for the School of Business in 2018 and is now the home of the E.A. Levitt School of Business and the collegiate FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Chapter. The space holds faculty offices and conference rooms designed for upper-division classes or collaborative workspaces for students.
The Phyllis J. Mackey Center houses the cafeteria, Admissions Office, and Clayton Museum of Ancient History, as well as meeting rooms and special event space. From eating in the Caf to exploring artifacts in the museum to hearing guest lecturers in the Miller Room, students spend a lot of time in this iconic campus facility. The Mackey Center was designed in the same style as "Old Main", the first building ever constructed on campus, which was destroyed by fire in 1951. The building was named in memory of Mackey who served the school from 1968 to 1996.
McCloud Hall is the residence hall for freshmen and sophomore men. It offers individual and dual-occupancy rooms. There are communal areas, such as the main parlor and lower-level activity area, as well as a kitchen and laundry facilities. It is conveniently located at the center of campus, close to the ARC at Levitt, Mackey Center cafeteria, and Campbell Student Activity Center. It is named in memory of Flora S. McCloud, wife of York businessman C.A. McCloud who served as YU board chair for 15 years.
McGehee Hall has six classrooms on the upper level and two on the lower level. The main floor houses a student activity space and the campus coffee shop, The Spot. This classic 1911 structure also houses the office of the vice president for spiritual life. The building was named in 1958 to honor Kathleen McGehee, who worked for the university in the 1950s.
Middlebrook Hall is home to many faculty offices as well as three classrooms that are equipped for dynamic, group-centered learning, as well as independent study space. Campus IT offices are also located on the lower level of Middlebrook Hall. It is named for Frank C. Middlebrook, chair of the university building committee and an early influential supporter of York University.
The music building, located adjacent to the Bartholomew Performing Arts Center, houses the offices of music faculty as well as classrooms and rehearsal space for music majors.
The Prayer Chapel is a historic church building moved to campus in 1999 and restored. It is open daily for prayer and meditation. On Wednesday nights, Campus Ministries hosts a student-led devotional at 9 p.m. The Chapel is often used for weddings and other ceremonies, as well as recitals and lectures. The building was originally located seven miles north of campus and served many years as a Lutheran Church near Thayer.
Dean Sack Hall of Science, on the southwest corner of campus, has many classrooms as well as labs for biology, chemistry, and physics. The building is also home to York University Online and the new nursing program through Creighton University. The wrestling team's workout facility is on the lower level. It is named for Dean Sack, founder of York State Bank, who assisted the university in acquiring the building in 1995. 912 E 6th St, York, NE 68467
Junior and senior female students have the opportunity to live in the G. Wayne and Harriet Studebaker Residence Hall (Apartments). This residence hall offers the benefits of apartment living with the safety and convenience of being on campus for 93 students in 24 apartment units. Each four-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment houses four students, with shared living room and kitchen spaces. Students can cook in their apartments or dine in the cafeteria in the Mackey Center. A spacious lobby graces the building’s main floor. Wayne Studebaker served as a trustee of the university for nearly 30 years.
Thomas Hall, located on the northwest corner of campus, is the residence hall for freshmen and sophomore women. It offers individual and dual-occupancy rooms, as well as dual-occupancy suites with private bathrooms. There are communal areas, such as the main parlor and an exercise room. There is a large communal kitchen available to residents, as well as laundry facilities on the lower level. There are several study rooms for individual and group work. Currently, the bathroom facilities are undergoing renovation. It was named for Kenneth C. Thomas of Menlo, Kansas, a benefactor and trustee.
Named for the coach who started the baseball program at York University, the Paul Touchton Clubhouse is the home of the men's baseball program. The facility was dedicated in 2016.