Military & Veteran Students

Here at YU, we recognize and honor the sacrifice and dedication it takes to serve our country. That's why we work hard to make educational opportunities available to active-duty service members, veterans, and their families. YU offers classes both on-campus and online.  

Steps to Enrollment

The first step is completing our FREE application for admission.
 Apply Now 

Submit official transcripts and test scores
  • High school transcripts
  • College transcripts from all colleges attended
  • ACT/SAT scores (if student has less than 27 earned college credits)
    • ACT Code: 2484
    • SAT Code: 6984

Official transcripts and test scores may be sent to the following address:

​York University
attn: Admissions Office
1125 E. 8th Street
York, NE 68467

To be accepted unconditionally, student must meet two of the three requirements:

  • ​Minimum of a 2.0 GPA (unweighted)
  • Minimum ACT score of 18 (or SAT equivalent)
    • Sub-scores in Math and English below requirement may require assigned level courses 

Note: Homeschoolers and those taking the GED must take the ACT or SAT to be considered for acceptance. Passing the GED equals a 2.0 GPA. To be accepted unconditionally, homeschoolers and those taking the GED must meet both GPA and ACT/SAT requirements.

Complete the forms required in order to receive educational benefits. 

  • ​DD214 - Honorable discharge documents
  • VA-221990 - Documents for approval of educational benefits
    • A copy of the document sent back to you from the VA verifying that the VA-221990 was completed must be in your file for the Admissions Office, Registrar, and Financial Aid Office.
  • VA-221990E - Documents for transfer of educational benefits funds to spouse or child
    • Only one person can be the recipient of education benefits, not both spouse and child.

Note: Students must declare a major when filling out documents for educational benefits to be granted.  

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

  • Students are encouraged to fill out the FAFSA as they may qualify for federal aid as well as VA educational benefits.
  • York University's FAFSA Code: 002567

Once you're Final Accepted, you will need to accept your financial aid package. You will work through your Net Partner account for each step. If forms are required to complete then simply complete, sign and return them to York University by emailing or mail to:

York University
c/0 Laurie Briggs
1125 E. 8th St. 
York, NE 68467

Once you've been accepted, the next step is to pay your $150 enrollment fee. This fee is fully refundable until May 1 (or December 1 if you are enrolling in the spring) and will allow you to reserve your housing, register for classes, and get your York University email credentials.

After completing your payment, you'll have the option to complete our housing form. Fill this out and we’ll save you a room at one of our residence halls or campus apartments.

NOTE: Even if you are not living in on-campus housing, the $150 enrollment fee is required to enroll at York University. 

Pay Enrollment FEE

You're almost a YU just need to register for classes. If you're an accepted student & you've paid your fee, you will be able to register for classes once the course catalog is opened by our Registrar. Contact your admissions enrollment counselor to see if you're eligible to enroll. If you have any other questions, please call us at 402-363-5627.


Educational Benefits

Education benefit options are available for veterans and active duty service members, dependents, and those with service in the National Guard and Reserves. Eligibility for benefits and the amounts available depend upon the service member's period of military service, years of service, and other factors. Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to calculate your estimated benefits. 

Before Registrar can submit information for educational benefits, you must:

  • Apply and be accepted (See above)
  • Declare a major
  • Be pre-enrolled in classes and have a copy of class schedule
  • Fill out proper documents with VA for educational benefits
  • Receive documents verifying that VA-221990 has been completed. 

Note: Educational benefits may take several months to be cleared by the VA to York University so that they can be distributed to the student's account.



  • Transfer Students: Find information about how their military credits will transfer to York University by visiting our catalog. (page 60)
  • Graduation Requirements: Find graduation requirements by looking at the degree plans in our catalog.
  • Contact Registrar: Jared Leinen
  • School Certifying Officials: Jared Leinen and Dr. Michael Case


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)