Transfer Policy

Questions? Contact Admissions.

Undergraduate Transfer of Credit

A student who has previously attended a recognized college should make application for transfer of credit to York University. The student must request both the high school and any college(s) attended to send transcripts which include statements of status at the time of graduation or withdrawal. All transferred grades become part of the cumulative GPA at York University (grades of “D” are accepted but they will not fulfill any course requirements in the student’s major field of study.) College transfers not meeting the required scholastic level will be placed on academic probation. A student admitted on academic probation must achieve the required GPA by the end of the first semester to be removed from probation. Failure to be removed from probation will result in suspension.

Students who transfer to York University with an Associate of Arts (A.A) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree (not A.A.S.) completed from another college will be considered to have met the general education requirements for York University, excluding Bible courses, pre-requisites for required courses, and any courses require by outside licensing agencies (NE Dept. of Education, etc.).

York University will accept a maximum of 90 semester-hours from accredited baccalaureate-degree-granting institution and a maximum of 60 semester-hours from accredited junior colleges. A transfer student must take the final 30 semester-hours at York University. Transfer students are required to take some number of hours in Bible, not including Bible credit they transfer. A transfer student who has a baccalaureate degree may obtain a different baccalaureate degree in another field by fulfilling the following requirements:

  1. Meet the residence requirement of taking the final thirty hours at York University. 
  2. Complete all general education requirements, and
  3. Meet the specific requirements of the new degree program. Note that Pell Grants are generally not available after a first bachelor’s degree.

Graduate Transfer of Credit

Students who have previously attended a recognized college may request transfer of credit toward satisfaction of required courses in their new YUO programs. Credit transfers can satisfy up to a maximum of 2 courses (i.e. 6 credit hours) in a Master’s degree program. All transferred grades become part of the CGPA. For course credit to be considered, the following conditions must be met:

  1. A grade of “B” or higher must be posted on the official transcript.
  2. The prior course must have been completed within 7 years of YUO enrollment.
  3. The prior course subject must align to a current course subject in the YUO program. Transferability of credit earned through York University is at the discretion of the receiving institution.