Communication & Speech Department
Express your passion, explore the body-mind-spirit connection, and prepare for a successful
career--and life--with a degree from York University in communication.
York University's Department of Communication and Speech:
- Nurtures each student to better appreciate and understand expressive communication.
- Prepares students for confident and competent entry into their chosen fields, whether that be graduate school or their initial professional experience.
- Provides students with a balance of communication theory and practical application.
- Offers a variety of opportunities to be involved. There are multiple performance opportunities through the theatre program as well as other departmental venues.
Bachelor of Arts in Communication
Strategic and Corporate Communication
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an emphasis in Strategic and Corporate communication
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an emphasis in Theatre
Media and Film Communication
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an emphasis in Media and Film communication
A degree in communications provides the skills necessary to pursue rewarding careers in:
- Public Relations
- Human Resources
- Office Management
- Health and Human Services
- Real Estate
- Business Management
Some of the courses you may take include:
- Communication Theory
- Media Writing
- Interpersonal Communication
- Principles of Advertising
- Organizational Behavior
- Advanced Public Speaking and Persuasion
- Faith and Film
- Film as Literature
- Business Communications
- Technical Theatre
- The learner will be able to recognize the theories and principles of communication.
- The learner will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the writing skills found in the communication discipline.
- The learner will be able to utilize communication performance skills.
- The learner will be able to apply the principles of human communication to practice.
- The learner will demonstrate a preparedness for entry in their respective area of communication and/or graduate studies
Our faculty members provide students solid biblical preparation, an understanding of humankind, and tools to continue the thoughtful pursuit of truth. Faith and learning are integrated in each course to prepare students for life--not just their professions.
Performing Arts at YU
Students interested in performing arts have the opportunity to get involved in theatre productions and music ensembles. The performing arts department encourages creative, artistic activity that enriches the overall education of all students. Students from any degree program are welcome to participate.