Department of English
The goal of the Department of English at York University is to produce people who will lead productive and satisfying lives. The great literature
of the ages can give wisdom and insight into the human condition; it nurtures our
understanding, our compassion and all that is highest and best in us, and so in a
hundred ways it can help us feed our souls as Christians.
As a student of English at York University, you will:
- Develop skills in effective reading, higher-level writing, and critical thinking.
- Broaden your understanding of many types of literature.
- Strengthen your capabilities as a writer.
- Experience highly personal interaction with faculty and other students in upper level classes.
Literacy & Cultural Studies
Bachelor of Arts in English, Literacy & Cultural Studies Emphasis
Professional & Media Writing
Bachelor of Arts in English, Professional & Media Writing Emphasis
For those interested in majoring in Education with an endorsement in English, more information can be found on our Education Department page.
A degree in English provides the skills necessary to pursue rewarding careers in:
- Media Writing
- Public Relations
- Grant Writing
- Editor and Content Management
Some of the courses you may take include:
- Literary Criticism
- Introduction to Linguistics
- American Literature
- British Writers
- Multicultural Literature
- Poetry & Short Story
- African American Literature
- Written Journalism
- Writing Nonfiction
- Business Communications
- Creative Writing
- The learner will read and analyze literature in a variety of genres.
- The learner will produce collegiate-level writing.
- The learner will demonstrate understanding of the various contexts (e.g. social, political,
cultural, and historical) that influence literary and other texts.
- The learner will produce writing that implements principles and techniques required in professional and creative writing.
- The learner will create polished writing for media or professional contexts.
Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
Sigma Tau Delta is an international English honor society with an active chapter at York College. Members must meet certain academic criteria to be included in the society. At York University, Sigma Tau Delta hosts an annual writers workshop as well as other activities, such as open mic poetry nights, that promote literature.
Sigma Tau Delta strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.